Tuesday, January 26, 2010

God is Good

I woke up this morning very emotional. Yes, most girls are emotional, but I pride myself in my steadiness and my infrequency of tears. The last two days, however, have been markedly different from my normal "I can handle this" attitude.

This change has no doubt come from the fact that my plans to leave the US and teach in Papua New Guinea were made final this week. This big decision has almost made me bipolar! Sometimes I am ready to get on a plane and just get there! To be a part of God's work in PNG and meet the little munchkins I will soon call my class.

Just when I am feeling good about it all, however, I am reminded of how much I will miss my life here. Hearing a friend's laugh, working alongside coworkers who let me be my crazy self, or listening to a song will send me into a tailspin of doubts.

Yes, I cried for 30 minutes last night trying to imagine what life will be like far away from all I hold dear. Where Internet is unreliable or expensive, late night talks with my roommates, and walks in downtown Salem will be nonexistent. How will I cope?

Well, my gracious Heavenly Father is so good to me. Just when I thought He didn't see my tears, He placed His hand on me. The classroom I substitute taught in today had a student teacher to help me. She and I started talking about future plans and she mentioned that she wanted to teach overseas eventually.

"Really?" I asked, "That's what I will be doing next year." She asked where I was going and I told her, "Papua New Guinea."

She smiled and said, "That's where I grew up! I love it there!"

God knew.

This precious college student went on to tell me that she was an MK with New Tribes Mission and lived in a village in the highlands (where I will also be living). We were able to discuss people, places, and my beloved PNG beef crackers! :)

God knew I needed this chance meeting on this difficult day. God knew exactly what would encourage my fearful heart and give me courage to continue with this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment