Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Word

Remember growing up in Sunday school, the teacher would ask a question and the answer always seemed to be “The Bible!?” From years spent in AWANA clubs, the familiar lines to this song still ring in my mind:


“Read your Bible, pray everyday

And you’ll grow...grow...grow.

Read your Bible, pray everyday

And you’ll grow...grow...grow.”


As children, we spent each week familiarizing ourselves with the great stories of old and identifying with the heroes of the faith. We memorized large portions of Scripture to recite in front of the class or to earn points for prizes at the student store. Even into adolescents, we continued saturating ourselves with this book called God’s Word, hoping to be rewarded with blessings for our hard work.


Well, do you know what I’ve found? While my heart might not have been in the right place, I have been blessed—immensely. While I was reading, studying, and memorizing the Bible, God was teaching me about His character. He was establishing trust with me through the many promises of His Word. He was drawing me to Himself and speaking tenderly to my heart through His softly spoken words.

Just glancing at Psalm 119, I am reminded of the preciousness of God’s written Word to us.


It is our strength...”My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.” (vs. 28)

It is our direction...”Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.” (vs.105)

It is our delight...”How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (vs. 103)

It keeps us from sin...”How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.” (vs. 9)

It is our hope...”Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws.” (vs. 43)

It gives us understanding...”The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.” (vs. 130)

It is eternal...”Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.” (vs. 89)


My heart is overflowing with thankfulness to God this morning for the gift of His Word. It is so true that He has “granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.” (2 Peter 1:3) It is through this wonderful book that we grow in our knowledge of our great God, to the praise of His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment