Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dependence upon God and His People

I've just recently started reading a missionary biography called, "God's Word in a String Bag" written by Marshall Lawrence who worked in PNG on a translation project. His words have got me thinking. This paragraph was especially impacting...

"So often I portrayed an air of independence--that I didn't need help, I could do it on my own. That attitude kept people from getting involved. When I gave the impression that I could do it on my own, others were not willing to offer help or to take ownership. Like it or not, mistakes exposed the mask of self-sufficiency. They revealed my weakness and provided a context for people to give of themselves in a meaningful way. But allowing people to see that I was weak and needed help was not easy. Sometimes it took an experience...Other times I had to hit bottom before I was willing to admit that I needed help...An honest expression of genuine need encourages people to get involved in a meaningful way."

I suppose I have a similar problem. I very rarely admit that I need help. What I find difficult about this is that I've lived so long as an independent person that I don't even know what I need help with! When someone comes along to offer help I think, "Yeah! That would be great!" but I can't anticipate my own needs before someone asks.

I pray that God will open my eyes to how needy I really am. That I will "move from independence toward dependence upon God and His people."

No comments:

Post a Comment