Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Papua New Guinean Mumu

This past weekend I had the opportunity to experience a traditional Papua New Guinean feast called a mumu. These feasts are usually done for a wedding, funeral, homecoming, or going away. An ex-pat here from Ukarumpa Centre paid a national man and his family to do one for us waitskins so that we could taste this Papua New Guinean treat. Honestly, I didn't think I would like it but I was happily surprised! Let me see if I can explain what it was like...

First, the family grows all their own veggies and raises their own kakaruk (chicken) or pik (pig) for the event. Sometimes they can get items from a local market if they do not have what they want for the mumu. When they have all the ingredients for the meal, they must prepare them to be cooked. They peel the potatoes and the kaukau (sweet potato), trim the kumu (greens), and kill the pik or kakaruk, cutting it into pieces. When the food is prepared, they dig a hole in the ground and place hot rocks in the bottom. On top of the rocks, they layer the food to be cooked, starting with the potatoes and kaukau, then the other vegetables with the meat, and greens on top. They cover this with leaves from the banana tree and let it steam for over two hours.



The group I was with arrived during this part of the process. We went over to the mumu pit to see it and the women of the house started uncovering it. This is what it looked like when we first arrived.


The banana leaves were taken off until we saw the rest of the food underneath the leaves.


Here they are separating the different kinds of food into plastic and metal containers so that you only have to take what you want to eat. They then took all the food to another location and set it up in a buffet line for us.


I tried everything but the kakaruk (chicken) and enjoyed it all! Yes...EVEN the sweet potato! It must be a miracle!

After the meal, I played with some puppies that were too cute to pass up.


We then walked around the village and saw the houses, church, and school. I am so glad that I actually felt comfortable among the people today. I still can't speak Pigin very well, but I am getting better and better each week.

Our hosts’ house


Cynthia


Inside the church


The primary school



Hopefully you are enjoying your own “feasts” with family and friends this week. Treasure the people around you, love them with Christ’s love, and make some memories!

(Italicized words are written in Tok Pisin, the national language of Papua New Guinea)












1 comment:

  1. A great article, made me hungry. How do the rocks get hot? How hot are they?

    ReplyDelete