Sunday, August 29, 2010

The trip so far

Hey there everyone! I'm officially en route to Papua New Guinea to teach first grade missionary children at Ukarumpa International School! Right now I am sitting in the San Francisco airport, processing the blessings that have happened so far and the many that are still coming. Here are a few highlights so far...
  • My extended family was able to come over to our house the night before I left and I said goodbye to them all. We planned a birthday party for my grandma before we realized it would be so close to my departure but it was perfect!
  • My immediate family (mom, dad, Mike & Lora, and I) were able to have breakfast together before I went to the SEA-TAC airport and we had plenty of time to chat before I had to go through security. This was such a blessing! I love you guys!
  • My second bag was checked for free. I was expecting to pay $50 for the second suitcase but Alaska checked it all the way through for free. Can't complain about that!
  • My first flight was engaging and restful. I talked to two nice gentlemen for the first half hour and then fell asleep for the rest. Hopefully I can do the same thing on this next 14 hour flight...
  • Free Internet has allowed me to document how things are going and to keep up with my friends and family. I miss them but feel very loved.
  • Mary Doel sent me verses to read while on the plane. Here are my favorites: 
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from Heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my Word that goes out from my mouth. It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. You will go out with joy and be led forth in peace, the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Instead of the thorn bush you will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the Lord's renown, for an everylasting sign, which will not be destroyed." - Isaiah 55:8-13

"The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear, or be dismayed." - Deuteronomy 31:8

I pray that your own journey is just as joyful as you are obedient to His call.

Melissa

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your trip there went mostly smoothly! :) You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete