Monday, August 9, 2010

Camp Gilead


Welcome to Camp Gilead!


“Helloooooo Campers!”
This past week I sang more songs, got up earlier, laughed more often, and even dressed up sillier than I have in a long time. As “Missionary Melissa,” I had the opportunity to teach 5th through 7th graders about missions at Camp Gilead in Carnation, Washington. Topics ranged from what a missionary is, to why the Bible is so important and even how students can be involved in missions right NOW. 

The offices


One such chapel session went a bit like this, “Hello Dan. Thanks for coming up with me today. Can I ask you a question?”
“Sure.”
“Doesn’t everyone already have a Bible?”
“No.”
“Oh really? Well then, how many languages in the world do you think don’t have access to the Bible in their own language? …I’ll give you a clue. There are about 6,900 languages spoken around the world so the number without Bibles is less than that.”
“Uh…six?”
“You think there are six languages without a Bible translated into their language?”
“Yeah.”

The Chapel

“Okay. Dan, I’m going to show you something. After you’ve seen it, I will ask you the same question I just asked you again. Got it?”
“Yeah.”
“Alright. Dan, this is a list of the languages that do not have a Bible. The list shows the country, name of the language, number of people in the language group, and weather the need for a Bible is definite or likely. Now Dan, I’m going to ask you the same question I asked you earlier. ‘How many languages do you think STILL don’t have the Bible?’”
“Wow. Uh, six thousand?”
“Not quite that many. But it is a big number. There are approximately 2,200 languages in the world today without the Bible in their language...”
At the end of the week during campfire, Dan stood up and recalled the event. He said how much he had learned about Bibleless people groups and how lucky he felt to have a Bible. When he returned home, he hoped to begin reading his Bible more often.
This is why I went to camp. Please pray that many of these campers will choose to read their Bibles and serve God with their lives. He is so worthy!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment